Sunday, October 26, 2008

Twilight Musings: Dangerous

---------------------------------------------------
STOP! If you have NOT read the Twilight books, stop reading NOW. This post and posts with this same foreword are my own thoughts on the series. They may contain SPOILERS and I know nobody wants to be spoiled in this respect. I'd also hate to be the one to kill the excitement for anybody who happens to drop by and read. So, in the words (and style) of author Stephenie Meyer: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
---------------------------------------------------
Two things from the final pages of Breaking Dawn have been bugging me: Aro's wedding gift to Bella and Bella's newfound ability to lift her self-shield to let Edward see her thoughts. I feel something sinister about these two developments.

We know how Aro is. A schemer. Power-grabber. Cheater. So why would he send Bella an important jewelry for a wedding gift with nothing in it for him? I doubt he cared for Bella's or the Cullens' affection. Well, it may be possible that he wanted to simply be on their good side but he didn't have to send such a priceless gift. Unless, there's more to it for him.

I distinctly remember his words when he saw Bella wearing the gift at the battlefield. The book did not make a fuss on his words, but I fear that they were lethal: "I should have sent a note along with that gift". What could he have meant? My fear is, the gift is meant to do harm. Aro's comment was filled with sarcasm and malice.

And as for Bella's act of love, i.e., lifting her shield off herself so Edward could see how much he meant to her, I think it's an act of death as well. It's one thing for her enemies to know they could not touch her because her shield is natural and permanently attached to her, it's another for them to know that it could be lifted. It would take just a threat to Bella's loved one's life to get her to unshield herself.

Ah, Twilight can set a dormant imagination loose!

No comments: