Monday, October 6, 2008

Perfect Bike

I so loved this bike.

I walked into that bicycle rental store at a street corner just outside Stanley Park, extremely excited at the thought of exploring Vancouver by biking through its biggest park and bike-friendly streets. Leisure biking is not something you can really do in the Phils, considering how the streets are and so, the prospective experience filled my head with the word "adventure".

A cutie attendant approached me and asked which type of bike I wanted. I had no idea. All I thought about prior to that question was renting a bike, but no particular model was in mind. I scanned through the rows of bikes on display and pointed to one which I thought I could handle. Basically, I had only two criteria for the choice: the height that would allow my feet to hit the ground without having to unseat, and a brake.

I barely caught the attendant's reaction but I had a feeling he grinned a bit and was quite amused. I think I must have initially picked a kiddie bike. LOL.

The attendant offered alternatives, which I was happy to accept. He led me ultimately to the one in the above photo which looked quite scary at first. I thought it was too big/high for me. But the attendant, cool as he was, merely smiled and assured me that the bike would be perfect for me. The seat could be adjusted to my satisfaction.

The moment I first sat on the bike, I strangely felt like I belonged. Or rather, that the bike belonged to me. I loved it more when the attendant added that front basket, which took care of the bag I then had with me. The bike was perfect.

And so, head gear and a happily-beating heart later, I courageously crossed a Vancouver street and headed straight to Stanley Park.

The park had a bike trail which covered its entire perimeter. I biked the entire length, and I loved every moment of it. The views on both my sides were fantastic (mountains on the left, the inlet on the right), the bike trail offered challenges (the curves, the elevation) and the weather cooperated. I even passed a lighthouse along the way!

It was a little sad to have to finally return the bike a couple of hours later (it was getting late and the store was closing). But though the tour was over, the memories remained and will always be looked back with the greatest fondness. :)

4 comments:

Julia said...

How delightfully fun for your :) I actually love cruisers with coaster brakes! I think those are official kiddie bikes :)

You are more than welcome to post images from my blog, though make sure you link them with the photographer and her site. I try and do that when ever I post other people's photographs :)

Anonymous said...

i love the bike, too! :) wish we could go roam around stanley park together someday with sai.

dojski said...

that's a lovely, lovely thought, Yns. Sai would be delighted...the park is fantasyland for curious tots like him. ;)

Anonymous said...

Never been to Vancouver but I've heard it is beautiful. At least the weather was nice.

Happy New Year.

Phil