Friday, October 3, 2008

Scheming Mind

Heavens, I missed chess. Much.

I have been itching to play one for quite some time now, so I know I must be missing the game, but only after I've started playing did I realize how much I missed it. Playing again feels like coming home --- familiar, memory-filled (ah, the thrills of those old plays) and wonderfully exciting. :)

I have to thank fellow blogger Toguints for leading me to this jewel of a site: SchemingMind. I have to admit though, that I've been quite skeptical at first. SchemingMind is primarily a site for correspondence (not live) chess. Meaning, it would take time to finish a game because you and your opponent only make a move whenever you're online.

Surprisingly though, I found the set-up kinda cool and interesting, despite having to wait days to see the game through. For one, you get to play a number of games with different people at the same time. For two, the SchemingMind community is quite friendly! As a newbie, I randomly challenged a couple of nicks on the site, expecting a rebuff or an arrogant message but hey, ALL of them welcomed me nicely and took the game seriously. THAT is not an attitude you would usually get from chess sites (past experience, hehe).

Apart from its chess-related good points, I have grown quite fond of the site for two additional reasons: one, I love the site name ("scheming mind" = perfect name for a chess site) and two, I love that photo (logo) accompanying the site name. The people behind the site must be schemingly bright minds. :)

No comments: