Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Sisterhood


I and my friend Ynnah agreed to watch "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2", with me thinking all along that I've watched the first one. After all, who would want to watch the second installment without first acquainting herself with the first?

And so, there I was, casually telling Ynnah as we were entering the cinema, that I honestly did not have any idea what the movie was about, except as a continuation of the first one. And then, it hit me. What the heck was the first one all about anyway?

Dang. Goodness, I had it mixed up! With the help of Ynnah's all-too-convincing confirmation, I realized that the first movie I had in my head was "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood", a totally different movie (starring Ashley Judd)! LOL. Geez, I just turned a year older but my memory seems to have added much more. Hehe. =)

So, it turns out, I hadn't watched the first Traveling Pants movie. Ynnah's quick run-through of the gist of the first movie was a big help, still, it was up to Traveling Pants 2 to officially introduce me to the Sisterhood.

In a way, having missed the first movie was a two-edged sword. On the downside, there were aspects in the current movie I couldn't quite follow because they seem to have alluded to events in the first one. On the upside, I had no expectation, no bar from which to judge the current one.

Traveling Pants 2 is a well-crafted story of growing up, growing apart, moving on, and above all, deep-rooted, real friendship. The four friends were given unbelievably equal share of the limelight, as each had a story of her own to tell. The acting was good and the comedy actually earned the laughs it sought. Shots of the picturesque Santorini (Greece) were also a bonus, despite having been similarly shown in that Richard-KC starrer (For the First Time).

Traveling Pants 2 is not Oscar-material, but I doubt it ever meant to be. However, for friends and peeps looking for a light-hearted movie, Traveling Pants 2 is a great pick.

No comments: