Wednesday, October 1, 2008

If You Say So

"One day in her life, her life in one day."

I'm not even sure now if this jewel of wisdom even come from the one whom I have always attributed it to: Virginia Woolf. Perhaps I chanced upon a reading which said that the quote was from one of her books. But it's all just a wonder to me now.

What really got me into the quote were two things: one, the amazing way it's structured. Notice that the first phrase has the same words as the second - only interchanged. Isn't English such a joy to play around with?

And two, it's just a simple line but it tells of an often-ignored truth: it may be just one day in our lives, but it composes what our life is, what it will be, what it will long be remembered. It may just be today, but every moment is a gift, a wonder - precious and incomparable. It will never come again.

So, carpe` diem! :)


----------------------------------------
Lifted from my old blog dated 14th July 2004.

No comments: