Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Love Story

I caught about three-fourths of this 1970 classic at IBC 13 when I was about 13 years old. I felt so sorry for the girl who died and the guy she left behind that I cried buckets, as if it was I who lost somebody I deeply loved. Unfortunately, the channel no longer showed the title of the movie when it ended so I was not able to know what movie it was that really touched me.

But perhaps serendipity truly happens?

Fast forward to one fine day in college: my classmates and I were at a gazebo, waiting for our next class. Then here comes Ariane, returning a book she borrowed from Liza. The latter did not yet want the book returned though because there were a lot of things she was already carrying at that time. I nonchalantly asked what the book was about and finding that the plot interested me, I volunteered to take the book home with me. The book was Erich Segal's "Doctors" (which to this day remains one of my top faves).

The connection?

Erich wrote Love Story, the movie I saw many years back, which, till that day, I never knew the title of. But how was I to know that one of the novels listed in one of the pages of Doctors was the movie I saw years ago?

I don't exactly know. Perhaps there was a short description of it in the book, but I don't remember it being the case. I do remember, however, that something in me just knew that that was it - the movie I saw long ago was Love Story and none else.

I checked the book out and yes, I was right. That movie I fell in love with many years back, was the movie adaptation of the book which I was then reading.

Life really knows how to fix things that were left hanging.

---------------------------------------
Lifted from my old blog dated 14 July 2004.

No comments: