Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Like a Leaf

Like a Leaf
by Helen Braganza Aben

I’m like a leaf
Flying where the wind blows
Searching where the rainbow begins
Wishing for something that never ends.
My life is like that
I leap and bound to unknown places
Meeting people who are rude or are kind
But there is always something worth leaving behind
When will the journey end?
I’ll never know
For I’m like a leaf –
Always leaping, always searching
Until I reach the end.

What strikes me as intriguing in this poem is the fact that the author died a month or two after she wrote it.

Helen belonged to the work group I am currently in. My colleagues tell me that she was smart and did well in her job. It's unfortunate that we never got to meet. I bet we could have talked about writing and poetry, apart from work stuff.

Isn't it a wonder that she came to write the poem just before she died? Something tells me that she somehow knew her end was near.

Indeed, life is like a leaf --- going where the wind blows. Endlessly searching for meaning. Till it reaches its end.

----------------------------------------
Lifted from my old blog dated 9th July 2004.

No comments: