Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Something in the Heart

I was one of these people who stood waiting at the corner of Roxas Blvd and Quirino Avenue yesterday to catch a glimpse of the casket of a beloved former President as it travelled from La Salle Greenhills to Manila Cathedral. It alternately rained and shined but not even a sudden surge of rainfall - at least a couple of times - could keep us from giving up. Three hours. We waited three hours.

And then the bikers signaled the start of the funeral cortege...

And all of us readied ourselves for her 'passing'...

But nothing could describe how it felt - how I felt - when her casket came close. I wasn't there when she led the fight against the dictatorship, wasn't yet old enough to truly understand what she was going through during her presidency. Yes, she has gained my respect for her quiet ways and integrity, but I still do not know what came over me the moment I got this close to her, or her remains, that is. There was just this feeling - solemn, patriotic, hopeful, and even spiritual.

But I guess, it's just fitting to be unable to put a name to that feeling. Even in death, she works quietly, sincerely...and straight to the heart.

No comments: