Saturday, August 1, 2009

Cory Aquino: A Life to Look Up To

I was just 5 years old when she rose to power in February 1986. Basically, she was President during my grade school days. Thus, except for the part where you have to memorize her name so that when the teacher asks who the country's president was you have an answer, I was too young to really appreciate what Cory did for the country or critique where she failed expectations. Even then though, I remember knowing she was popular. I even distinctly remember one talk I had with a relative at the top of the stairs of my lola's (grandma) house back then. I remember saying that if I met Cory, I would hug her. I do not know where that was coming from, or what the talk was really about, but I remember saying it.

I grew up, living my own life and dealing with my own concerns. Her term ended and she settled to a private life. As I was not really old enough then to assess for myself how she fared in the presidency, the coup attempts and public disappointment from failed expectations are my impressions of her era. Of her, I do think I have ever had a strong opinion, but I accepted without question the respect that the country has always accorded her. After all, she doesn't hog the limelight the way other politicians do. She prefers to contribute in her no-frills ways, like attending a national event then quietly leaving afterwards, without bothering the public with news interviews about how great she was for being there. And, among the country's top leaders, who could I honestly say I believe did not cheat? Or stole? Cory. And her alone.

As the nation mourns her passing early today, I am presented with readings on her life and see for the first time the person behind the public figure. She is not just a former President, or Ninoy's widow, or Kris's mom or the living meaning of the color yellow. She was an ordinary person, with her own hopes and dreams. But unlike most of us who only have ourselves or our immediate families to take responsibility for, she had the nation's as well. She had the choice to turn her back, live her rich life and not bother with the extraordinary tasks. But she chose to give. To hear the call. To sacrifice.

She deserves all the love and high regard. And peace.

-------------
Photo credit: Inquirer
Cory: Obituary

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow.. being part of history, amazing experience..

dojski said...

=)