Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Wedding

A good measure of a quality and effective TV series, I think, is its ability to lure viewers who are not fans of the stars. "The Wedding" has done that to me.

The first time I caught the teaser, I got instantly interested. One good thing about ABS-CBN (the network) is it mixes and matches its talents, and the triangle of Derek Ramsay, Anne Curtis and Zanjoe Marudo - whom I don't remember ever appearing together in a project before - seemed fresh enough to appeal to my curiosity. And so, I looked forward to the launch and saw for myself what the show had to offer.

I love the series.

The premise is still interesting, despite not being entirely novel: rich-girl (Anne) and poor-guy (Zanjoe) develop a relationship for some reason (the girl pissing off her parents) and of course, the status gap becomes a major problem. And then, there's the other rich-guy (Derek) who will complete the love triangle. What I find interesting is how the angle of the girl making a fool of the poor-guy turns out. This early, I can already feel for him.

The way the plot is crafted is something new: light, Korean-style (exaggerated, weird and unreal but funny), and thankfully devoid of too many sub-plots. Performances are well-done, and that's saying much since I'm not really a fan of any of the stars. And most of all, I think I heard somewhere that it's intended to be short, so, it might be worth following. ;)

----------------------
Official Site: The Wedding

No comments: