Monday, July 27, 2009

Cinemalaya 2009: Winners

Based on this list of winners, 9 out of 10 full-length competing films won in the festival awards a few hours ago.

Multiple winners were Astig (4 awards), Dinig Sana Kita (3 awards), Colorum (2 awards) and Sanglaan (2 awards). Astig and Sanglaan were on my To-Watch list but unfortunately, I could not find the time to go see them. Astig won 50-50 on performances (best director, best supporting actor) and production (best editing, best sound recording). Sanglaan bagged the best female performances (lead and support).

I've seen both Dinig and Colorum. Dinig has my biggest affection and apparently I was not alone in this as it was the Audience's Choice, in addition to winning Best Musical Score (is this why people are on LSS with the film's song?) and the Children's Television Award (understandably). I did not enjoy Colorum much but I have to agree with Lou Veloso winning best actor. He was the character he played.

Last Supper No. 3 got only one award, but the best at that: Best Picture. I'm glad I and a couple colleagues were able to catch the last show of this last night. The film sent a cutting message (it hurt) about the country's frustrating justice system in a very funny way. It's amazing how the entire film revolved around a single otherwise mundane thing: a Last Supper decor. I liked the camera angles and pun on the songs played in the film.

My other watched film, Mangatyanan, got the Best Production Design award. I do not know exactly what that means but I'm happy for the film because it was good. Its premise was not something I was initially interested in but I liked the film nevertheless. That's a feat for the makers.

I hope the films will be shown again in the city (UP is too far for me). I want to watch the others I haven't seen, and Dinig again. Watching Dinig's teaser (haven't seen it before I watched) has got me wanting to re-experience the film.

No comments: