Sunday, December 7, 2008

Still a Gossip Girl

The thing about being at the latter decade of your 20's is you tend to think you're through with teenage stuff. Well, since reactivating this blog, I have found out otherwise: your years may pile up but some of your interests remain essentially the same. Twilight is teenage stuff, but I'm crazy about it. Taylor Swift is teenage stuff, but I love every single one of her songs. And the new addition to the bunch? GOSSIP GIRL:


I've heard of the show: it's been a big hit. But it did not interest me at all initially because I did not think I could like it. The title itself strongly hinted malice and backstabbing, and the setting (high school and the elite class at that) was susceptible to all the troubles of youth. I thought I did not have to bother with high school gossip or misdemeanors.

Well, I still don't think I have to bother with the world of gossiping, trouble-making high school kids, but it turns out, I can be very entertained by it.

Gossip Girl elicits just the right ounce of intrigue and suspense to pique your mind about what's going to happen next or what happened in the past. It is populated by actors and actresses who are so convincing in their roles, they all should win an award for best performance by an entire cast. It is led by a relative newbie (Blake Lively) whose acting talent is of the Meryl Streep kind - effective, natural and smart. It is put to life by characters that you either hate (Chuck) or love (Dan), with passion.

Gossip Girl - despite its naughtiness, or maybe partly because of it - is a masterpiece.

1 comment:

Julia said...

I'm very piqued :)