Friday, June 5, 2009

Only You

The reason why I have to be home by 8:30 is Only You. I can't believe ABS-CBN got this one so well. Perhaps it's a strong point of the network. Localizing Korean shows, I mean. My Girl was also a quality adaptation.

Only You stars Angel Locsin as Jillian, the down-on-her-luck aspiring chef who once lost everything to a man she fell in love with while on a cooking workshop in Korea. Sam Milby plays that man, TJ. Diether Ocampo completes the love triangle as Jonathan.

Usually, an ABS series would look so promising in the first few days of launching. Then my interest would eventually fade because in the quest for money (longer run), the writers screw up the story with so many complications, I tend to forget what the story is truly about. Sometimes, the plot touches on the ridiculous.

But not this one. Only You is a gem. So well acted. I think Angel plays her character way, way better here than she did on Lobo. Diether and Sam are also commendable. Especially Sam. The rest of the characters likewise click, as far as my viewing standards are concerned. I just hope for more "kilig" moments between Jillian and TJ though. These two deserve some truly happy moments after all they've gone through.

As proof of my fascination with the show, above is Jillian's supposedly amazing specialty as a chef - Talangkanin. It was advertised to be actually sold in one of the Korean restaurants here, so I hunted one down and tried it. It failed my expectations but still, I like the thrill of trying it out.;)

No comments: