Sunday, June 21, 2009

Outliers

Outliers deserves its bestseller status. Malcolm Gladwell's book offers a fresh perspective on the mechanics of success (uh well, at least to me). That's what books should do. Open your mind, that is.

I especially like the part where it tells that individual merit is NOT everything. I grew up thinking that success can be reached as long as you work hard. Outliers does not dispute this, but boldly adds that hardwork alone will not do it. The opportunities you were presented with are critical factors too.

Bill Gates is a genius, yes. But he also had access to a high-tech computer when he was young, gaining exposure to technology that others in his age and time did not have. The Beatles were great. But they performed extremely well not only because they had been born with extraordinary talent but also because they had the chance to endless practice when they played for long hours in Hamburg (somewhere in Germany). The Jews are generally successful businessmen because their background provided the path for it.

I dare say the book allows losers a scapegoat: if you did not make it, probably it was not you but the opportunities around you that were lacking. Hehe. But the point really is, you have to consider factors outside of you to make things work. I really did not know this much before. But Outliers snapped me out of that old perspective. I like the new one. And I believe it is more reflective of the way things really are.

2 comments:

steve cunningham said...

It certainly made me question my definition of success and how I go about it as well.

dojski said...

thanks for dropping a note, steve. =)