Sunday, June 28, 2009

Michael Jackson: In the Eyes of a Non-Fan

Channel V paid tribute almost all day long, and so did the world. I tuned in to the former because I was curious how his older videos and performances were. How could I not be interested, when everybody calls him brilliant, genius, talented, phenomenal, prodigy. I saw how the world grieved, as I switched channels through the breaks (CNN, Fox, CS).

Nope, I had not just come from Timbuktu. I know Michael Jackson. I dance to Beat It, Thriller... even Billie Jean. My all time fave is the slower I'll Be There.

But at 28, I did not witness his journey towards becoming an icon. I believe the consistent reference to his role revolutionalizing music and bridging a great many divides. He must really have done all the stuff attributed to him. But I wasn't really there to see it. All I caught up with were the 1990's and onwards, which probably was not a good time to get to know him. As I look back at memories where I saw him then on TV, his appearances were often accompanied by ridicule at the stuff happening in his life: child molestation, unexpected marriages, appearance change. Needless to say, that is not a good way to shape a non-fan's mind.

As I stand back and watch the way the world simultaneously mourns his death and celebrates his music, I can't help but think that I probably did not really get the artist that he was.

But it's all right. A lot more did.

RIP, MJ.

2 comments:

MissBliss said...

well, as a 35 year old, i will never forget his impact on my world from age 10-15, quite an impact! everything that came later was very sad, but he turned our whole world upside down in the 1980's! :)

dojski said...

It's actually kinda great to have had the chance to fully appreciate him. Good for you. Me, I'm just an outsider looking in. ;)