Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Pride and Prejudice

I'm a late bloomer...when it comes to Jane Austen, that is. I've heard of her, and how revered her works were, but young as I was, I heeded no such encouragements. Austen was a thing of the past and so I thought I did not have anything to do with her, or her books. But, it turns out, I had to eat my words.


I finally got to read her most popular book - Pride and Prejudice - and yes, you guessed right. I was smitten right through my literary core. Austen's keen and honest presentation of the ways of the people in her book was genius. The only aspect of the book that could beat this was the sharp, witty, brutal exchange of ideas between the book's main characters: Liz and Darcy. I really had a hard time keeping myself from grinning, giggling or laughing out loud every time Lizzy and Mr. Darcy threw barbs at each other.

Ah, thank God for the likes of Jane Austen.

-----------------------------------------
Lifted from my old blog dated 19th June 2004.

No comments: